Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mood Altering Substances

My best friend at the moment is Mr & Mrs Nurofen´s little boy, he´s called 400 mg and he makes my day just dandy.  This morning I was a miserable bastard.  My feet were hurting, I´d been to the doctor the night before to get my latest mega-blister checked for infection.  Luckily this nasty bit of business is not infected but has a knack for letting me know it´s there.  So there I was hobbling along after starting early this morning and having been bitten by fleas the night before, yes, FLEAS.  I was staying in a hole in the ground called Barbadelo and had a late lunch under a tree when I was joined by the owners friendly dog.  He sat at my feet and begged for scraps, which I duly gave him.  Little did I know that at the same time his mates were feasting on my blood and turning me into an itching, shrieking mess.   So what to do?  Stop for a cafe and a Napolitana and get the Nurofen out.  One 400 mg pill and 15 minutes later I could walk with little pain. 

It wasn´t long before the simple act of walking turned to joy.  I had passed the 100 km mark.  Less than 100 km to go.  It was a fantastic feeling and I was overjoyed.  Right now I´m in the town of Portomarin and it´s less than 90 km to Santiago.  I could have gone on but I want to stay somewhere with a little bit of infrastructure.  The last two days I´ve stayed in Galician backwaters where the greatest asset they had was cowshit.  So tonight its the big smoke.  Maybe dinner with some camino friends, a little wine, a laugh and back to the alberge with my friend Haystacks and his amazing snoring machine.  I can only thank Mr & Mrs Nurofen for making my morning bearable.

Pilgrim Bob

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob... have you started doing some poetry as well? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Bobski. Keep up the good work and keep up the blogs, they have been a fantastic read. I look forward to your book. You are so close to the end no doubt you can almost taste it. Only 90km to go....Cheers, Bort

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget to bring back some of the famous cowshit for all your friends. You just can't get the good gear over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PB. Your second line is YOU. That's why we like you. lol. js^2

    ReplyDelete