Saturday, September 11, 2010

The way of a thousand churches

Its been a while since I´ve had the chance to post.  Been in the remote Meseta and not much internet and also completely exhausted.  So accept my apologies.  The Meseta is the great flat plain in the middle of Spain and is monotonous.  Here´s what it looks like.

I´ve been thinking about churches.  It´s hard not to.  Every village and town we pass has at least one.  I reckon I´ve had a look at a few thousand of them.  I´ve decided I like the small ones best.  Simple and intimate.  The cathedrals are all about showing off.  I like the quiet, holy feeling of the small churches.  Many of those were built by the Knights Templar on this route.  They were formed to protect Pilgrims but got too big for their boots so the Pope had them all burned at the stake in the early 1300´s.  Still their churches are nice and most of them were taken over by the Knights of Malta (St John).    Here a few photos of some of my favourites.

I have about 260 km left to walk.  Which seems almost unbelievable.  I can remember when it was almost 800 to go.  The highest number of steps I´ve done in a day is 55,877.  That was a long difficult day.  I bought new walking shoes and that is helping with the pain.  And this morning, horror, my pedometer failed.  I have walked about 10 km and no steps counted.  Its working again  now.  Total steps to last night was more than 650 k, can´t remember the exact number.  Some more church photos.

I will now show you how bad the blister on my right foot got.  This is a painful photo.  Again, don´t make fun of my toes.  It seemed to get bigger by the day and then burst at the back.  Fun to walk 25 km a day when your feet are in this shape.  Anyway, it´s much better now and I´m back to my jolly old self.  Also included a photo of my Pilgrim crential showing stamps given at ecah of the albergés along the way. 

So now I prepare for the next challenge.  To cross the Montes of Leon.  This is the highest point along the camino and tomorrow I climb across a pass at over 1500 m.  The views had better be worth it.  I am looking forward to this being over.  Looking forward to the comforts of home and my family.
Adios
Pilgrim Bob

5 comments:

  1. PB. Glad to see you back in the digital world, I was getting worried you had abandoned us. Nice pics - the 13th century blister is my favorite. By the way, how have the other Pilgrims reacted to the news that gravity created the universe?. It must have come as quite a shock. JS^2

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, it looks more like the baby monster out of Alien about to break loose. No danger though - the smell would be sure to kill it as soon as it takes a breath. Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bob, I'm home with my family after just 4 days in "a room with a view" at Cabrini Brighton. Looks to me like my bits 'n pieces are doing a fair bit better than your much maligned & blistered foot - ouch, it looks really painful! I can't believe that you have covered so many miles; hang in there, you will soon be smelling the ocean! Had a lovely coffee morning with Nanette yesterday. She's a doll!Spring is here, the bitter cold mornings are becoming fewer and the footy finals are upon us. Looking forward to hearing your voice over the fence again soon; I wonder, will you be going on your morning walks following your return? Regards, DAW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise,
    I plan to walk every day after I´m back but will probably take a week off. Hope you are well.
    regards
    Bob

    JJ,Tony,
    I thought God created the universe, where have you been?
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob,
    I am enjoying your blog.Well done.You must have the end in sight now.We are looking forward to hearing more of your tale when you get home.You have inspired me,I am going to go out and buy a bottle of Rioja wine.
    Regards
    Keith Sutherland

    ReplyDelete